Parking lot -> Bandera Mountain -> summit of Bandera mountain -> back down -> for (int i = 1; i <= 8; i++) lake -> Denny River -> Parking lot
Justifications: “mike’s cool; these guys are probably going to be cool” (certainly); “it’s only twice the distance from U-district to Golden Gardens” (note: but markedly less flat, and no Starbucks at the 3/4 mark); “Jens did a half marathon — I should too”; “might as well get some use out of the hiking boots” (oh boy they proved their worth today); “soak up the outside while it is not misting” (get dust-colored tan);
Ways that hiking is like China (c. 2009? when I last remember it)
- bathrooms where you have to bring your own toilet paper
- dust in everything
- about 13 miles /hours — except no one brings you beverages or foily meals.
Morbid thoughts that go through my mind, miles 1-15
- scamper scamper; guys, stop being tall
- What would this march feel like on reduced calories? Rephrase: what does a death march feel like?
- hips: <climb>; ribs: we want to go this way!; brain: no, ribcage, that direction is off the mountain. we should not go there.; abs: <whistle, for we do not exist>; arms: flail, throw onto nearest forward rock
- If something should happen — not that I think it would, but if something should ever happen — what are the chances that I could trek to somewhere with cell reception and describe my location with precision? Is there some experienced hiker who sits in the command center and tries to figure out what the confused and startled hikelet means? I mean, I thought we were between exits 42 and 45, and we were actually between 45 and 47; oops.
- Total elevation gain is a LIE because we are going up and down and up and down and; hey, intermediate value theorem / displacement / velocity / bloop bloop bloop
- “wish I were the prom queen, fightin’ for the title / ‘stead of being 16 and burning up a bible / feeling super super super! suicidal” (official hike soundtrack)
- Feel that soreness in your hips? That is roughly what period cramps feel like.
- This is a three apple, one clif bar, one shot block, one one thousand year old egg on wheat sandwich kind of hike. Why are there no apple trees around here?
- We’re going over there? Ok.
- That part of the hike where panting turns into sobbing because blood sugar has pulled a c. 2000 NASDAQ
- rock rock rock ok, this is just a dorm room where someone has left tons of stuff on the floor; you can get through it
- more rock??
- pain(waxing) <<<<<< pain(this hike)
- motivation: commune with nature, escape civilization, feel the grandness of scale, get to the damn car
- body: FUUUUUUUUUUUU ok but we’re almost there, almost there, almost there; man, it’s cold.
I am not climbing a single stair for the next month.